Richmond Dive Club

  • Richmond Dive Club – May 2022 Membership Meeting

    Tuesday, May 10, 2022

    Meeting held at O’Toole’s Restaurant and Pub Forest Hill Ave. Richmond and Virtually via Zoom.

    Club President, Jim Dacey began the meeting at 6:57 pm.

    Jim recognized the new members in attendance.

    SWAP MEET

  • ·         Jim discussed the scuba gear swap meet being held in the back meeting room of O’Toole’s beginning at 6 pm.
  • ·         Discussed rules regarding members and non-members selling equipment.
  •         o   No fee to members to sell equipment.
  •         o   $10 fee to non-members to sell equipment.
  •         o   Sellers and buyers participate with the understanding that equipment sold will be as-is and must be checked by a                qualified technician prior to use.
  •         o   There shall be no liability to RDC, its Board of Directors or its members as a result of any sale.
  •         o   There will be no income to RDC, with the exception of the $10 non-member fee, resulting from swap meet sales.
  • SCIENCE MUSEUM OF VIRGINIA – PLANET SHARK

  • ·         Jim discussed the upcoming exhibit and the desire from the museum to have RDC members volunteer to interact                with attendees to share their knowledge of sharks, experiences, pictures, etc., during the length of the exhibit dates,          but also at the following events.
  •          o   An adult only night will be held at the exhibit on Friday, June 3. Museum would love to have a good turnout of                      RDC members to share their shark knowledge with attendees.
  •          o   Kids camp will be held July 25-29.
  •          o   Jim asked Jay Haigler of Diving With a Purpose to consider having members of his organization attend the SMV                    events.
  • DIVE DESTINATIONS

  • ·         Jim asked members about any recent trips.
  •         o   Jim recommended supporting local dive shops and booking trips with them.
  •  

     

    RDC BYLAWS REVISIONS

  • ·         Jim discussed getting the proposed Bylaw changes out to the membership via email for future voting.
  • ·         Decisions made by the Board regarding updates to the current Bylaws: Remove any reference to “Skin Diving” from            the Bylaws.
  • ·         Article 3.1.1 – Remove “Skin Diving”
  • ·         Article 3.1.5 - Remove “Skin Diving”
  • ·         Article 3.1.7 – Remove “such as underwater cleanups for the benefit of the diving community at large.”
  • ·         Article 3.2 – Remove all of 3.2 (3.2.1, 3.2.2 and 3.2.3)
  • ·         Article 3.3 – Remove “or monitor the skills and experience of its members.” Agreed to revisit this article, if required,              later if clarity is needed regarding instruction.
  • ·         Article 4.5 – Change to “complete an application”. Noted that a change will need to be made in Wild Apricot to add a            waiver to the membership application.
  • ·         Article 5.1 – Remove entire statement regarding “past President”.
  • ·         Article 6.1 – Remove “Ex-Officio Officer”.
  • ·         Article 6.1.5 – Remove article.
  • ·         Article 7.1.1 – Remove article.
  • ·         Article 7.1.2 – Remove article.
  • ·         Article 7.1.3 – Remove article.
  • ·         Article 7.1.5 – Remove article.
  • ·         Article 8.1 – Remove section beginning with “with the exception of the Treasurer.”
  • ·         Article 8.3 – Remove “appoint a nominating committee in August of each year, whose duties shall be to”.
  • ·         Article 8.4 – Remove statement after “all elections shall be for a term of one year.”
  • ·         Article 8.5 – Remove statement regarding “Ex-Officio Officer”.
  • ·         Article 9.1 – Change Annual Meeting to October.
  • DIVER DAYS

  • ·         Discussed the dates of RDC Diver Days for 2022.
  •         o   Sunday, 5/22 GOOSE Day
  •         o   Friday, 6/17
  •         o   Saturday, 6/18
  •         o   Wednesday, 7/13
  •         o   Sunday, 7/24
  •         o   Wednesday, 8/10
  •         o   Sunday, 8/28
  •         o   Sunday, 9/18
  • ·         Diver Days for June to be combined over the course of one Friday and Saturday, June 17 and 18, with the ability for            members to camp at Lake Phoenix on Friday night. RDC to cover Lake entry for Friday and Saturday but camping fees        and other related costs will be at member expense. RDC will try to reserve the Lake Phoenix Group Campground for          RDC members to be allowed to camp together.
  • THANKS TO OUR BOD

  • ·         Jim Dacey
  • ·         Bart Drummond
  • ·         Debi Moir
  • ·         Larry Knorr
  • ·         Warren Bowman
  • SCUBA SERVICE TO DO LIST

  • ·         Jim went over some of the items to be considered now that dive season is fast approaching.
  •         o   Regulators
  •         o   BCD
  •         o   Dive Computers and Batteries
  •         o   Tanks – VIP and Hydro
  •         o   New Wetsuit?
  • THANK YOU TO RDC CORPORATE SPONSORS

  • ·         Tri City Scuba
  • ·         Lake Phoenix
  • ·         Brunswick Scuba
  • ·         Fluvanna Dive Center
  • ·         The Dive Shop
  •  

    UPCOMING CLASSES AND EVENTS

  • ·         A PSI Tank Inspection Class being held at Tri City Scuba on May 28. Cost is $300
  • ·         Tri City Scuba is hosting a river cleanup event on May 21. Tri City will be covering tanks/ air fills for participants.
  • ·         Debi will be sending out an email to members to sign up to help pour beer for the June 9 Corporate Run fundraiser.
  •  

    TREASURER’S REPORT

  • ·         $6,510 currently in the bank
  • ·         Memberships
  •         o   Corporate – 5
  •         o   Family – 20
  •         o   Individual – 40
  • 5-MINUTE TIPS FROM FLUVANNA DIVE CENTER

  • ·         Larry Antonacci, from Fluvanna Dive Center, gave a 5-minute talk on Full Face Masks.
  • ·         Some of the Pros to using a FFM were:
  •         o    Less pain of nose and mouth from repetitive dives over mask and regulator.
  •         o    Will not fog.
  •         o    Breathe via nose OR mouth.
  •         o   Most have comms capability
  •         o   Hard to get knocked off of face.
  •         o   Different colors.
  • ·         A couple of cons were:
  •         o   Unable to squeeze nostrils to equalize on some. Nasal blocks used in some to help equalize.
  •         o   Remembering to close the Above Water Valve, or Gill in some models, before submerging.

  • Business meeting ended at 7:25 pm.

    PRESENTATION

  • ·         Dive With A Purpose
  •         o   Jay Haigler with Diving With A Purpose gave an informative presentation about the organization’s quest to discover            African Slave Ships and focused on their current project of exploring the slave ship, Clotilla, sunk in a river near                    Mobile, Alabama.

The presentation ended at 8:35 pm.

The next meeting will be held on June 14, 2022, at O’Toole’s Restaurant and Pub at 7 pm, with the meeting also broadcast virtually on Zoom.


Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software